-

-

Sunday, December 20, 2015

Tibetan Folk Art

I was in a local coffee shop this morning before my regular jaunt to the grocery store.  Yep.  I'm that exciting.  Anyway, while I was waiting in line, I saw the headlines to the New York Times (see article here: Tibetan Culture Serves Chinese Political Goals).  It is a sad situation over there and I can't help but feel disheartened by the current state of affairs for those in Tibet.  After I read the article (and ordered my coffee), I began studying the brightly colored costumes the dancers were wearing in the photograph.  The colors were so vibrant that it inspired me to start researching Tibetan folk art when I got home.

Here are some of the images and magnificent works of art I found.






All of the visual treasures I found inspired me to begin a series of animals from the Tibetan region with motifs and colors found in the artwork of Tibet.

Here is the beginnings of my first painting which starts off with a series of rough sketches
and tons of erasing and adjusting until I feel like it's ready for the next phase.

Take a look and let me know what you think.  I would love to hear your ideas and thoughts.

I'm thinking that if the series is successful, perhaps funds raised from their purchase can go to
a "Friends of Tibet" organization to help promote awareness and public outreach.







No comments:

Post a Comment